Monday, February 23, 2015

Daily Devotion: Lesson Learned

Over the last 3 months I can actually say I'm learning more and more how to act selflessly. No, I'm not going to sit here and portray an inaccurate picture of perfection, but I can say that I've learned to take out what, "I want", from the equation of what ,"People need", of me.

You see, when I lived in Miami, it was just Me. Me all day, every day...sure the addition of Mimi came later down the road but it was just Me. I did what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it and no one could tell me to do otherwise. It was a good and bad thing. I learned how not to procrastinate so much, but I also learned that I needed people and relationships around me to learn to do more for others and not just do what I wanted at that moment for myself.

Since I've been back in VA I have had a schedule packed with Baby Showers, helping coordinate events, birthday parties, dinners, bonding with girlfriends over brunch, catching up on the phone (so not me), helping with family and the list goes on. I can honestly say God is truly working through me because in the past my negative mindset of me needing "me time" would have taken away from the joy and need that people had of me. And this became possible by a true obedience to Christ. When I prayed and asked God to change my heart towards others to look more like his, it wasn't a "comfortable" feeling and process to go through. There were and still are many days when I feel like throwing in the towel, and doing what I want to do..then it's like I get a little gut check and nudge to say, you've come so far, do you really want to start all over. His word says Proverb 28:14, "Blessed is the one who fears the Lord always, but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity." I don't know about you but I choose not to fall into calamity, into an abyss of the unknown due to my disobedience of what I didn't feel like doing.
The very next breath you take is not promised, and I think sometimes we take that for granted. Sometimes we need to be reminded of that, because when God calls you home, will there still be works left that he told you to do, but you said "not right now father" or will your heart and mind be so free and clear that he will surely call you his good and faithful servant? Seeing ourselves for who we really are is never a fun and pleasant reflection, in the beginning at least, but one day if you keep on going and doing all that God asks of you to do no matter how "uncomfortable" you may feel you will look back at yourself and think, I still got it. So, become comfortable with the discomfort it's pushing you closer and closer through to your purpose, obedience and having a heart like His.

Stay hopeful loves

xoxo
~Nell

No comments :

Post a Comment